“FOR ME PHOTOGRAPHY
IS NOT TAKING A PICTURE,
IT IS TO BE THERE"
Oddvar Paulsen (65)
I’m a fine art photographer based in Kristiansand, Norway.
I have my own gallery/ateliér in the middle of the town.
I always have had a true passion for photography, and in the early 70s I started capturing moments with my very first Ricoh Mirror camera using Ilford, Kodak and Agfa fillm.
My main focus was creative black and white photography, basic camera and darkroom techniques, and then color slide film as well.
When, Olympus introduced OM2 in 1977, I continued developing my photography interests and skills. As a graphic designer, the principles of design and composition became a part of my everyday life. Fortunately I was able to combine my work and my passion.
Since the 1998 and until December 2018, I had the privilege of working for the Norwegian NGO, Stromme Foundation. Meeting people all over the world and their cultures did change my understanding of silence, peace and communication, and I believe it reflects in my photos.
• In 2010 I entered CGAP`s photo contest (www.cgap.org) (1000 partic. from 40 countries) and got a final photo among the 30 best.
• The same happened in 2013 with 4000 partic./90 countries.
• I´ve had the pleasure of attending five Photo Workshops, 2010, 2011 (Rome) and 3 x 2013 in Vågå, Norway (I+II+III), conducted by the Norwegian photographer Morten Krogvold.
• The exhibition "And One Behind" was shown in the Fotohuset Gallery in Kristiansand, Norway September & October 2012.
• In 2014 from 1. April until 10. May the exhibition "Tracks of Lines" was shown in Rachmaninov Garden Photo Gallery in St. Petersburg, Russia.
• In June 2014, The exhibition "60|60" was shown in Christiansholm Festning, Kristiansand, Norway.
• A selection of photos was shown as a part of The International Triennale of Graphic Arts in Saint-Petersburg, Russia, June 2014.
• Photo illustrated the poet book "Underveis" published November 2014.
Summer exhibition in Farsund, Norway, from 9. to 11. of July 2015.
The Photo Book "Byen på Vranga" Nov 2019.
Today I have my own place for exhibitions and events since 2016.
I´m grateful for these oportunities, and the response inspires me to continue my journey!
1972 started my life in photography. My first SLR camera.
1970 – 1977 Education through Economy and Advertising and graphic design studies
incl. art.Work experience
1977 – 1982 Advertising Agencies, freelancer in graphic design, advertising and photo.
1982 – 1997 Graphic Design/Art Director/photographer in regional newspaper FVN.
1997 – 1998 Graphic Designer/photographer in Bekkkelund Information.
1998 – Graphic Designer/Art director/photographer in Stromme Foundation.
From 2010: Own Photo Studio
2010 Rome, March with Morten Krogvold
2011 Rome, March with Morten Krogvold
2013 Vågå, Morten Krogvold – step I + II + III
2012 ”And One Behind”, Kristiansand Kunsthall, Kristiansand, (September) Solo
2014 ”Tracks Of Lines”, Rachmaninov Photo Gallery, St. Petersburg (1 April – 10 May) Solo
2014 ”60/60” My anniversario, Festningen, Kristiansand (30 May – 1 June) Solo
2014 ”Graphic Arts Triennale”White Nights Festival, St. Petersburg (June)
2015 ”Kaperdagene”, Farsund (July) Solo
2016 >> Own Photo Gallery in Kristiansand, Norway.
2019 "NORD" – Exhibition in The Gallery, Kristiansand (23 March - 14 April) Solo
2019 Exhibition "Kristiansand i transformasjon"/project "Byen På Vranga"
2010 CGAP world photo competition (1000 from 48 countries). Among top 30.
2012 CGAP world photo competition (4000 from 90 countries). Among top 30.